February 1, 2009

Is it February already?!


I can't believe that it is February! In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, I thought I'd share my shortbread recipe for these very yummy treats that are pictured. First I would like to say that there are a lot of recipes out there for shortbread,but this one really matches the one my grandmother use to make that I loved so much, because of the texture and the butter flavor. It has three ingredients.

Four sticks of butter (1 lb.) Use salted butter, not unsalted. This is where many of the recipes out there fall short in the flavor. Have you ever had shortbread where it just kind of tastes like flour? It is probably because unsalted butter was used

1 cup of confectioners sugar. Do not use granulated sugar! Again, most recipes call for granulated,but then you don't get the light texture that confectioners sugar gives.

4 1/2 cups flour.

Cream the butter and sugar together, then add flour one cup at a time. The dough is very,very thick, so this recipe better suits a standing mixer,and not a hand held.
You can cut them out in traditional shortbread shapes, or use cookie cutters. I usually roll the dough to about 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch thickness.

Bake at 325 for about 20 to 30 min. They should be light in color. I like to check them at about 20 min. to see if they are the right color.

This shortbread recipe really works well with royal icing too.
Try it, and I bet you will love the texture of this cookie!



Last Thursday, I made an apron for myself out of this cute fabric,and trimmed it with the light blue ric rac. After I made it, I became inspired to do some baking :)

9 comments:

  1. Love your apron and I'm going to make your shortbread cookies. I've been wanting to find the perfect recipe and there it is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like the cookies, I forgot to say that the oven temp is 325

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the pretty fabric! thanks for the simple recipe...i am pretty sure i could do that! lol. i am so glad that february has arrived. today the sun was out and the snow was melting. what a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shortbread has always been a favorite of me, so buttery rich. I must try your recipe. Also loved the fabric on your new apron. You are a whiz. Nerm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, another of your recipes to try. Such good timing, too, as I've just bought a lovely new cookie jar from Marks and Spencer and need to fill it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we must be sharing a brain. I have a shortbread/sugar cookie recipe I was going to share too. Yours look BEAUTIFUL and YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to try this!
    Most of the ones I've used have called for unsalted butter and then added salt.
    I am curious to taste the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great looking apron- love the fabric! Lots of pretty aprons always inspire me to do more work in the kitchen, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, these cookies looks so delicious.
    I wish I could taste them :o)

    ReplyDelete