January 17, 2010

Checking out Mill Valley

Yesterday we hopped in the car and went to Mill Valley, in Marin county. I happened to hear that Tyler Florence opened up a kitchen store there, and after perusing the web site, I just had to go and tale a look at it.
There were so many cars whizzing by, that it was really difficult to take a good shot of the store front. I also brought the point and shoot and not the Nikon, so the photos aren't as good as they could be


We really had a good time looking at all the goodies in this store, it wasn't the run of the mill kitchen shop. What I liked about it was that it incorporated antiques and new things.
In the far back of the store, was a whole room filled with cookbooks and cozy chairs to sit in, along with a nice little fireplace. My idea of fun!
On this table, there were many items I wanted!!
Part of the really pretty window display.
We decided to walk around town and see what was new, as we haven't been to Mill Valley in years. Sad really, since it is a very short trip from where we live. I guess it is just one of those things that you take for granted living here in the Bay Area, with so much to see and do! These flowers were part of a cute little shop on the sidewalk.
The following are a few shots of the cozy little town itself.




After our nice little walk around town, it was almost time for our dinner reservations at the old "Lark Creek Inn" I say old, because they changed the whole concept of this restaurant, along with the name. It is now called "The Tavern" I was very sad that they (Bradley Ogden) changed the whole thing! The original design was so beautiful and dramatic, and now it seems kind of run of the mill. The food was good though, I must say. Luckily we have a "Lark Creek" restaurant in my town, just like it use to be.
Perhaps my dining experience was a bit skewed, since the previous night we went out to a very fancy dinner in the city. The restaurant was called " Quince." We had a gift certificate, and decided to give it a shot. It was a very gorgeous restaurant with impeccable service. Their web site is under construction, as they just recently moved, so if I linked it, you wouldn't get the full scope of how beautiful the restaurant is. You can google it though and hit images.

So.....this weekend has been a fun filled food weekend, and now I'm off to the store for dinner fixings. I'm making homemade chicken soup, with fresh pasta of course :)

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun way to spend the weekend--dining on good food.
    Really enjoyed the town pictures. Very quaint.
    When is your surgery?

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun Elizabeth!

    I love the little town of Mill Valley too.

    On my last trip home in the fall my son and I visited just to shop at Tyler's store. It reminds me of the early, early Williams-Sonoma stores when Chuck Williams was still at the helm, before it went big-time corporate. I love the mix of the old and new with the one-of-a-kind antique goodies. No Tyler sitings? There were none for me either. ;)

    Sorry to hear that Lark Creek Inn has undergone such a transformation, but happy that the one near you remains the same.

    Thank you for taking us along on your day trip! I really enjoyed it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day. Quince has been in the papers lately with fantastic reviews. So happy you had the chance to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trouble, trouble, trouble! Glad I'm not within driving distance becuase I would be there in a heartbeat! I'm going to have to task force my niece from Santa Rosa to head over there and check things out ASAP. Glad you enjoyed the weekend! Thanks for the info. on William Sonoma. After I get the Tartine book and if disaster occurs with my first batch of croissants, I'll be on the 1-800 # ASAP for a fix.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAw its soo cute there!!! The store and food look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Next time I am up there I must go to that store! Not sure if I ever mentioned, my husband and his whole family are all from the bay area (Santa Clara and surrounding). My mother in law is from Marin County, I love hearing her stories. It is just beautiful up there and I can't wait to get back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a town right out of movie! Love the pictures.

    Dawn

    P.S. I do believe that when Harleigh goes off to college, the ceramic bird might just be replaced with a real one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to take a trip to Mill Valley. I just found your blog and I really love it. Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across your blog because I'm planning a trip to Mill Valley. Enjoyed this post with lots of photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete