November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving












Thought I'd share some pictures from my Thanksgiving.  I had lots of helping hands this year, which always makes it nice and not as taxing. My dad and stepmom came out from the east coast to share the celebration.
I had a little trouble with the cooking of the turkey yet again this year, and I think I have possibly solved the problem! All the years that I have cooked my turkey in a cheap foil baker, where the most successful, and I believe that the rack in my fancy All Clad roaster is the culprit for the dark meat not cooking correctly. The breast meat was perfect and juicy, and the thigh meat when cut into still looked undercooked! As you can see from the photo, it sure looks done, and the instant read thermometer said it was all 165, but NO! I had to put the dark meat back in. Anyone else have this problem? Next time it will not have the rack.  Aside from the nerdy turkey being annoying, the rest turned out fantastic I must say. I did haricot vert with chanterelles, toasted pecans and shallots topped with lemon zest, and I decided to make the camote recipe that I did last year with the sweet potatoes. The rest more traditional and yummy. Everyone was happy and full after dinner. Cyrous joined us later for dessert.  I made my usual pie and we ordered an ice cream cake from a local ice cream shop that was pumpkin with a spice cake. Very nice and a fun alternative for those that didn't want pie.

I sure hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and didn't over eat too much!

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks beautiful! And the food looks delicious… especially the ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same exact experience with the same kind of pan with the rack. I have been roasting turkeys for many years and never had one cook like this one. I will use my old method of cooking from now on. A friend of mine had the same experience with the same kind of pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, because I thought I was losing my cooking ability! I was sitting here after the fact wondering what happened, and I realized that not long ago, I cooked a whole chicken on that rack, and the same thing happened! At least the breast meat was perfect and then I just popped in the dark meat back in while we ate. Next time I really think I'm buying one of those cheap foil things. Hahahah

      Delete
  3. Simply stunning setting....mouth watering too!

    ReplyDelete