September 30, 2014

The Home and Art of N.C Wyeth and Andrew Wyeth






































In one of my art history classes I took for my degree, I fell in love with Andrew Wyeth's work. All his painting have such a beautiful haunting quality about them. I don't know if I can actually put into words just how I feel about his paintings. For some reason they really speak to me and I can stare at them forever! I hadn't realized that this national treasure was so close by to where my dad lives. When we were asked if we wanted to go here on one of our days visiting, I tried to not jump up and down like an excited kid!! Um, Yes I would like to go there!!!   The name of the museum is called Brandywine River Museum. The museum houses N.C Wyeth, Andrew's father, Andrew Wyeth, and James Wyeth's art. There  are also tours that take you to N.C Wyeth's home and studio, and also Andrew's studio. Loved the house! N.C. and his wife raised 5 children in this three bedroom home. The stories that the guide told us were wonderful and while you are standing in the home, you can envision 5 rambunctious children running around. I have always been fascinated by this family and the wealth of talent. I would have to say though that Andrew's work remains my favorite, and I would go so far as to say that he is my favorite American artist. The first paintings that are posted are N.C. Wyeth's illustrations for books like Treasure Island. There were not a lot of Andrew's that you could take photos of, especially the one that I really loved. The portrait of the older gentleman is N.C. After that painting, is a painting of Jamie Wyeth, Andrew's son that Andrew painted. I loved that one! I didn't get to snap any photos of Jamie's work, but all three generations have paintings in this museum. Next time I visit my dad, I hope I get to see Andrew's studio. We ran out of time to see both.  While wandering around the gift shop of the museum, I spotted a very large print of the painting that I loved, that was signed and dated by Andrew. Too bad it was $10,000 :( I settled for a 11x14 matted print of it though.  Next post I'll share some photos of my dad's new cool/old house.

2 comments: