October 24, 2014

My Happy Place







I've been a sewing and baking fool these days, and I couldn't be happier. I had a lot of cape orders and some of them have been from desperate parents asking if I could get it there in time for Halloween. I fulfilled all the orders and I do believe they have all made it to their destinations. I received a really nice email from a customer, saying that she thought the cape was beyond perfect, and she wished that I seen the look on her daughter's face when they opened the package. Sometimes I wish I could see the recipients faces. It made me happy that the customer took the time and wrote me an email, instead of waiting to write a review. Sometimes I wonder if the person likes the item, when I don't hear from them, it makes me wonder. I think sometimes that people don't realize when you buy something from Etsy, there is a person at the other end, and not a manufacturing plant making the item that they purchased. If you buy something from Esty, I urge you to take the time to send the maker some feedback or compliment, it means the world to us.
Finally it has cooled down enough that I can turn the oven on in these past few days. I made the blueberry crumb cake again from "Smitten Kitchen," and yesterday I made granola cookies out of the September issue of Martha. The cookie recipe calls for coconut oil instead of butter, and is packed full of goodness. Not too sweet and I love all the add ins, like pepitas, coconut flakes, dried cranberries, ground flax,  rolled oats, and last but not least, bittersweet chocolate. Go check them out here.  A few weeks ago, my beloved Cuisinart food processor broke :( The motor actually still works, but the cover to the bowl broke in the most critical area. I sent away for the part, but because my machine is 14 years old, it did not fit, and now I can't use it :(   On the bright side, I'm going to replace it soon with a Magimix. It is the original food processor made in France. After dealing with the part situation with Cuisinart, I decided to go with this one, since the motor is guaranteed for 30 years and everyone seems to really rave about them. I've saved up most of my pennies, and I'm really close to getting it. I'll do a post on it when I get it :)
I walked out into the garden today and gathered some of the persimmons that are hanging off the tree like Christmas ornaments, and I'm trying to think what I can make with them. I might make some cookies. I want to freeze some so that I can make my mother-in-laws persimmon pudding for Christmas this year. Yesterday, there were two huge black ravens sitting on this tree cawing and I wasn't fast enough to snap a photo of them, darn it! They looked so beautiful against all the orange fruit.
Who's watching "American Horror Story?" Man that show is terrifying, yet you just can't look away. I go back and forth every Wednesday, weather I want to watch it at night by myself, or DVR it and watch it in broad daylight. It just doesn't have the same effect as it does at night though, so I continue to torture my self! Hahaha.
We are looking forward to Halloween this year, as it will be the first time in a long time that we will actually have trick or treaters! Last year we were in London for Halloween, and it is just not the same. They really don't celebrate it like we do here, and I really missed it while we were there.
Well, I'm off to finish cleaning up the rest of the house, to have a cozy weekend.   Have a great weekend everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Homemaking...our shared happy place. Those cookies sound delicious, I'm going to make them this weekend, The Magimix, oh my! I have kitchen appliance lust. American Horror Story; that would be absolute torture for me. I don't do scary! Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got a chance to make these cookies Trica! I'm so excited to get my food processor, and didn't realize how much I missed one, until I wanted to make certain recipes. Kicking it old school without the food processor isn't appealing at all.

      Delete
  2. Homemaking always makes me happy, too! Your cookies sound yummy. I am just so into everything pumpkin right now. I found an oatmeal, pumpkin, chocolate chip cookie recipe that I can't wait to try later this week. We are also excited for Halloween this year. My daughter is next door painting pumpkins with my neighbor, and I think we are going to carve one this evening as well. I am also helping with the Halloween party at my daughter's preschool on Wednesday (Thursday and Friday are teacher workdays). It amazing how busy life is now that she is in TK! Hope your weekend was nice and cozy. Your photos are lovely today, as always! It's always feel warm and relaxed after reading here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, some of my most happiest memories are when my girls were little and we would plan their costumes for Halloween. I miss this so much, and I think that is why I make children's clothing hahah. Halloween and the holidays in general are so fun with little ones! The other day I ran across a photo I took in my youngest daughters kindergarten class, where I volunteered and made each child these huge shortbread cookies to decorate. So fun!

      Delete