July 12, 2016

Summer Looks Like This....












Lazy days of summer are in full force over here.  We didn't go anywhere for the 4th of July weekend, just stayed home and pretty much did nothing but make pie hahah. I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, because I'm not. I never like to travel anywhere on the 4th. I think there are just too many silly people out on the road, and I don't like crowds, so home and relaxing is fun enough for the independence day holiday. I was teasing Caitlin on messenger about being in enemy camp on the 4th of July. 2 years ago we were in the Uk for the 4th and I wore a U.S.A. shirt, which got sideway glances hahah.  They are now in Scotland and on their way to the coolest place. It's called Roulette Retreat. Click on the link to see this magical place! They have been sight seeing in Edinburgh for close to a week now, and this is the last leg of their stay in Scotland. They stayed in two different spots in Edinburgh, one was a cool B&B called Wallace's Art House and the other was a fancy place they decided to treat themselves for one night called The Witchery. If you want to check it out, click on the names. David called The Witchery the day before they arrived and told the restaurant to bill their dinner to us as a surprise! They texted immediately after dinner and said they were so surprised. The food looked amazing from the pics Caitlin took.  We all LOVE Scotland, so we are pleased that they chose to go there and picked fun and unique places to experience it in different ways.

As promised in my last post, I included a picture of the African violet that is spilling over the pot I transplanted it to. It's going strong with non stop flowers! I had to take a picture for evidence that I'm not a killer of house plants!
The blue berry pie was so fun to make, because I hadn't made a lattice pie in quite sometime. I also used  a different crust recipe. Still all butter, but different flour amount. It was nice to have extra dough to construct the lattice. The other recipe doesn't yield enough to do anything fancy. So I'll be using this one I think from now on! I'm making a peach pie this weekend to take to a dinner with  some friends, and I think I will do something different with that one as far as crust art. I have been seeing some fun crusts for pies on IG that I would like to try. The peaches are out of control in the yard, which is a good thing. I think I already mentioned this, but holy smokes they are so good and I can't stop taking pictures of them. Today I picked more and it filled the biggest bowl I own. I have some pics of it on my IG.

Are you wondering what Riki is doing? He LOVES looking at parakeet videos on Instagram. He tries to feed them and chat with them. It's kinda sad/cute hahah. His other new love is being sprinkled with lots of water. He also goes crazy when anyone is drinking water. So to humor him I fill a little dish and let him drink out of it. He almost can't wait for me to give it to him, then he drinks like he has never had water in his life(he has a permanent bowl filled at all times). He is silly, and keeps me company with his sweet little chatter and whistles. Did I also mention how he loves Pandora? His favorite all time band is "The Strokes." I think I blogged about it ages ago, but still to this day he goes crazy when their songs come on. Funny little guy!

The flowers on the mantel are from our farmers market. I literally begged the manager to get a flower vendor. There had not been one in years he told me because no one bought them. I found that hard to believe that no one would want flowers. Then a couple weekends ago, the manager messaged me on Facebook with pictures of the new flower vendor! I immediately went down and bought a bunch! Great prices and they are farm to market, so no middle man. The guy who runs it is so nice and I'm thrilled to see him doing well. This last weekend I didn't get down there until noon and everything was gone! I'm pleased that the new manager found this vendor and actually listened to me about this market having no flowers which is just sad I think. Flowers are part of making a happy environment in your home in my opinion.

I finally finished the little bloomers and they are now available in the shop. I'll be cutting out some little tops next, then I think I will start working on some fall pieces. Still trying to get some staple pieces in there before I work on something more intricate. I have some really fun prints for the fall that I can't wait to cut into!
I have been thinking a lot lately about boys clothes again. I think I have finally come to a decision to not make them. I'm just not inspired enough. Perhaps if I had a muse I would, but I don't and it is a struggle that I don't want to keep thinking about. If someone wants a special order I could do that, but I don't think I will be filling the shop with boys clothing. I might change my mind later, but for now I think that is how I will proceed. Ok, enough rambling I need to close for now so I can get to work. Catch you all later!


2 comments:

  1. Oh you pie looks delicious! We don't like to travel over the 4th either - it's just too crowded everywhere you go, and I'm not a fan of crowds. It's sounds like you are having a nice, relaxing summer. It seems like summer is just flying by and I can't believe it's almost mid July. I'm happy to hear that Caitlin and her husband are having a magical time in Scotland! My husband and I would love to visit there some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! My turning point for summer ending is when Target puts all the back to school stuff out. I know it seems too soon since summer really only just started season wise, but I then start dreaming of the Autumn months! You have to go to Scotland!!!! It is Such a beautiful spot in the world.

      Delete