July 9, 2017

Summer Celebrations and Summer Days



























Our anniversary always kicks off the summer celebrations, and as the readers that have been on here from way back know, June is filled with family celebrations. This year our anniversary was on Father's day, so we decided to start the morning with a Father's day brunch. I made a baked egg dish from Jamie Oliver with merguez sausage and sweet potatoes. I really liked this recipe. It included a yogurt sauce with harrisa which gave it a little kick.  After brunch we let dad relax and later Caitlin and Cyrous joined us for a dinner out to celebrate our anniversary/Father's day. It was a restaurant that a coworker recommended we try called Trestle (click here if you are interested). We really enjoyed it and will try it again soon.  Next up on June 20th, was David's birthday. We went to our favorite restaurant Dona Tomas, and David got to eat his beloved tres leches cake. He worked that day so we didn't do much except for dinner.

We have been having some hot weather and some nice weather recently, and I'm really trying to motivate to get things done for the shop when we get these cooler days. I'm almost done with the little garment with the sweet bunny embroidery that you see above. I will start on Fall/Winter this week as well. I feel pretty proud of myself that I'm starting in July. I always say I'm going to, then don't, so this is a big step for me this year! I have some really cute ideas, so I believe this helps in getting more motivated to start. I'll be doing the same thing I did with the small summer capsule collection I made. Hopefully I can get enough made before the cape orders start coming in. I'm getting a lot of "favoriting" on it, and usually they come back and order. It's handy to know what I'm in for.

My dad and stepmother came for the fourth of July holiday. They had spent a couple of days with my niece to see the newest addition to their family, little baby Lila. We had not seen the new baby either, so it was very kind of them to bring my dad and stepmother this way, and that way we could visit and enjoy their kids.
I had a lot of fun cooking this year for the holiday. I decided to make three salads, carne asada, and a berry crostada for dessert. It's always surprising how much work the salads can be! The chopping and dressing making take time that you don't think about when you are planning the menu!  I loved how the carne asada came out, and will use the recipe again that I found on Pinterest. The salads were: classic potato, red cabbage with carrots in a chili infused vinaigrette, and fresh corn, tomato and basil salad.
To top the carne asada, I made a batch of my favorite condiment, chimichuri sauce. I could drink that stuff!
It's been quiet at work, hot weather has kept people away I think. I work upstairs, and they haven't fixed the AC situation in our section. Yesterday I was sweating the minute I got to work. I felt sorry for the poor brides and maids trying on dresses. Luckily my shift is short, because I don't know if I could take more than four hours. Sometime next week we are getting new gowns in! Always so exciting to see all the new dresses. It really never gets old seeing the brides try them on.

Well, nothing else new in these parts, so I'll sign off for now and hope everyone is having a relaxing summer.

1 comment:

  1. The day after our wedding my husband and I said repeatedly that there was nothing about the event that we would have done differently. Every aspect of wedding venues was perfection. It was everything we hoped for - and more.

    ReplyDelete